1 cup besan (Bengal gram flour)
1 1/2 tbsp semolina (rava)
3 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp ginger- green chilli paste
1/2 tsp citric acid (nimbu ka phool) or 1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
1 1/2 tsp fruit salt
1/4 tsp oil for greasing
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/2 tsp sesame seeds (til)
2 green chillies , chopped
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
2 to 3 curry leaves (kadi patta)
For The Garnish
2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
1) Combine all the ingredients together, except the fruit salt in a bowl and mix well adding water as required (approximately ¾ cup) to make a thick batter.
2) Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it.
3) When the bubbles form, mix gently.
4) Pour the batter immediately into a greased 125 mm. (5") diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread the batter in an even layer.
5) Steam for 12 to 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
6) Heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds.
7) When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, green chillies and asafoetida, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a second, while stirring continuously.
8) Remove from the flame, add 2 tbsp of water and mix well. Pour the tempering over the dhoklas.
9) Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.